[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

Standa Láznička slaz at seznam.cz
Thu Mar 26 13:40:42 UTC 2015

On 3/26/2015 1:24 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 03/26/2015 01:08 PM, Standa Láznička wrote:

>>> What I originally meant as anchor was a value specifying the time
>>> offset
>>> (e.g. "utc" - access time uses UTC, "rule" - access time uses time zone
>>> specified in the HBAC rule, "host" - access time uses host's time
>>> zone),
>>> rather than the time zone itself or "Local Time".
>>>
>> You're right, that's probably more descriptive than just "Local
>> Time". Still, I
>> think that instead of "rule" a timezone might just as well appear on
>> the anchor
>> part. I think "UTC" is also part of Olson's so it should be at the
>> same spot as
>> the timezone.
> I am not little confused about all the places where we want to add the
> time
> zone. I thought that it was originally meant for hosts objects, so
> that we can
> HBAC rule is created, UI/CLI can already suggest the right time zone
> for the
> HBAC rule. But it should have been only informative value serving
> mostly UX,
> not something that SSSD would decide on.
>
> HBAC rule itself is always the authoritative source. We should also avoid
> having time zone in 2 places in the HBAC rule itself - if this is what
> you are
> steering at. I thought the authoritative time zone would be only in
> the HBAC
> time definition only, i.e. only in the anchor specifically.
I think the timezone still may be with the host object but only as the
UI helper as you suggest. Although I would maybe rather not see it with
the object at all and have the admin just set the right timezone for the
HBAC rule themselves. After all, if there's a collision of host helper
timezones, I think admin would have to do that anyway.

I agree that there should only be one timezone record for each HBAC and
I wouldn't suggest differently. There was a confusion when Jan suggested
to use "rule" as anchor in the (time, anchor) tuple to get the rule's
timezone which, he suggested, should be stored elsewhere but in the
tuple. I think there's no harm having the timezone/"host" keyword stored
with this tuple and therefore nowhere else.
> Can we show specific examples of these tuples, to make sure we are in
> agreement? My take was:
>
> (Mon-Fri 08:00-17:00, UTC+1)
> (Mon-Fri 08:00-17:00, local)
>
> UTC+1 may not be ideal as it would not work for daylight saving, a
> better way
> would indeed be the Olson time zone ID, i.e:
>
> (Mon-Fri 08:00-17:00, Europe/Prague)
> (Mon-Fri 08:00-17:00, local)
Definitely the second format ((Mon-Fri 08:00-17:00, Europe/Prague)), we
want to use Olson's database names. If I understand it right, "UTC" is
in Olson's and stands for UTC+0 offset. If not, we can have "UTC"
keyword in the anchor part of the tuple mentioned above to signalize
just that (UTC+0).