[Freeipa-devel] Domain level for topology plugin = 2

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue May 26 14:16:43 UTC 2015

On 05/26/2015 04:13 PM, thierry bordaz wrote:
> On 05/26/2015 02:12 PM, Petr Spacek wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> it came to my mind that domain level for topology plugin should actually be
>> number 2, not 1.
>>
>> We already used number 1 for incompatible changes in DNS tree and I believe
>> that it is not a good idea to have two places which say 'version 1' but and
>> actually mean two different things. (DNS tree version 1 + domain level 1)
>>
>> Patch is attached.
>>

> Hello,
> The fix looks good but that seems strange to have to set the initial version of
> the topology plugin to 2.0. (IIUC That is the version that will be written in
> dse.ldif)
> I would rather expects that topology plugin 1.0, would activate itself if the
> DomainLevel is 2.0 or more.
> If topology plugin 1.0 sets an internal DomainLevel_trigger=2.0 then activate
> itself if DomainLevel >= DomainLevel_trigger.
>
> Let's wait for Ludwig feedback.
>
> thanks
> thierry

My personal opinion on this is to start with Domain Level 1 regardless. We
already "solved" the DNS forwarders otherwise, with docs, async updates etc. I
do not think we will be returning to implementing proper Domain Level support
for that anyway.

So I rather think that all the "Domain Level starts with 0, 1 is unused, 2 is
the top one" will cause unforeseen issues I would rather like to avoid.

My 2 cents.

Martin