[Freeipa-devel] Kerberos over HTTPS (KDC proxy)

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu May 28 13:06:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 07:42 +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> Dne 27.5.2015 v 15:54 Simo Sorce napsal(a):

> >> I don't think so.

> >> There is a boolean for every other component/service as well. If you
> >> want to add new API to manipulate the boolean, fine, but it should be
> >> done in a generic way that works for other components as well.
> >
> > This is the same as:
> > ipa config-mod --enable-migration=TRUE
> >
> > Why is it a problem ?
>
> This is a switch to enable the migrate-ds plugin. I think it's hardly
> fair to compare it to a whole new component which provides a new service
> to the outside world.

Well, this is the problem, I guess there is a perception issue. The KDC
Proxy is basically nothing more than adding a new protocol to the KDC.
It doesn't really do anything special but getting packets on HTTPS and
sending them to the KDC over TCP.
SO I think that for this specific case the KDC Proxy really is
comparable to migration mode (actually simpler than migration).

> > This is not a separate service.
>
> How is it not a separate service? If it's installed, MS-KKDCP is
> provided to the outside world, and if it's not installed MS-KKDCP is not
> provided to the outside world.

If the migration plugin is installed the service is provided, if it is
not installed it is not provided, it is conceptually the same. Yes there
is code involved, but we plan to have the proxy always provided. There
is no plan to have it as a removable component, you can only enable or
disable it, like for migration.

>  How is this different from, say, DNS?
> (Besides implementation details, such as what protocols or how many
> daemons it uses - think about IPA as a black box for a moment.)

It is completely different in size and scope, the KDCProxy really is
just an enabler to reach the KDC over a different protocol, it is not a
whole new protocol and service.

In the end it is a matter of perspective, I think most of the people
that have been dealing with it think it is much like migration and not
an entire new service like DNS.