[Freeipa-devel] Kerberos over HTTPS (KDC proxy)

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu May 28 13:28:50 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 03:06 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 07:42 +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:

>>> This is the same as:
>>> ipa config-mod --enable-migration=TRUE
>>>
>>> Why is it a problem ?
>>
>> This is a switch to enable the migrate-ds plugin. I think it's hardly
>> fair to compare it to a whole new component which provides a new service
>> to the outside world.
>
> Well, this is the problem, I guess there is a perception issue. The KDC
> Proxy is basically nothing more than adding a new protocol to the KDC.
> It doesn't really do anything special but getting packets on HTTPS and
> sending them to the KDC over TCP.
> SO I think that for this specific case the KDC Proxy really is
> comparable to migration mode (actually simpler than migration).
>
>>> This is not a separate service.
>>
>> How is it not a separate service? If it's installed, MS-KKDCP is
>> provided to the outside world, and if it's not installed MS-KKDCP is not
>> provided to the outside world.
>
> If the migration plugin is installed the service is provided, if it is
> not installed it is not provided, it is conceptually the same. Yes there
> is code involved, but we plan to have the proxy always provided. There
> is no plan to have it as a removable component, you can only enable or
> disable it, like for migration.
>
>>  How is this different from, say, DNS?
>> (Besides implementation details, such as what protocols or how many
>> daemons it uses - think about IPA as a black box for a moment.)
>
> It is completely different in size and scope, the KDCProxy really is
> just an enabler to reach the KDC over a different protocol, it is not a
> whole new protocol and service.
>
> In the end it is a matter of perspective, I think most of the people
> that have been dealing with it think it is much like migration and not
> an entire new service like DNS.

In the end, Alexander had a good point that there will be some needed
associated configuration changes in DNS, when the KdcProxy is enabled/disabled:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-May/msg00522.html

In which case, we may want to end up with more complicated API/CLI
(ipa-kdcproxy-manage) than just config-mod command. We now mostly settled to
per replica configuration, postponing powerful API/CLI for later:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-May/msg00535.html

Martin