[Freeipa-devel] Linking tickets in the commit messages

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 14:47:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 03:55:35PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> >Speaking as IPA package maitainer in RHEL, I would like to have ticket
> >link in every commit in maintenance branches. If a commit goes to the
> >master branch only, I'm OK with it not having a ticket link. So that's
> >where I would draw the line - if a commit goes into a maintenance branch,
> >it is a reasonable piece of work.
> Good suggestion, thanks. We actually have the same with Samba -- *any*
> backport to released branches requires a new bug to be opened and
> mentioned in the commit message.

Seems reasonable for SSSD as well..

Two questions:
    1) If you backport from a non-maintenance branch to a maintenance
       branch, do you also move the ticket? IOW, do you also expect the
       list of changes to be visible in track, or do you only care about
       'auditing' of each commit?

    2) If another commit (which can be totally unrelated in
       functionality, just touching the same area of code) needs to be
       applied before the one you backport, do you add the ticket URL
       to the prerequisite as well or create a new one?