[Freeipa-devel] Linking tickets in the commit messages

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 15:04:58 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 04:47 PM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 03:55:35PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>>> Speaking as IPA package maitainer in RHEL, I would like to have ticket
>>> link in every commit in maintenance branches. If a commit goes to the
>>> master branch only, I'm OK with it not having a ticket link. So that's
>>> where I would draw the line - if a commit goes into a maintenance branch,
>>> it is a reasonable piece of work.
>> Good suggestion, thanks. We actually have the same with Samba -- *any*
>> backport to released branches requires a new bug to be opened and
>> mentioned in the commit message.
>
> Seems reasonable for SSSD as well..
>
> Two questions:
>      1) If you backport from a non-maintenance branch to a maintenance
>         branch, do you also move the ticket? IOW, do you also expect the
>         list of changes to be visible in track, or do you only care about
>         'auditing' of each commit?

This cases happens rarely in FreeIPA upstream. Usually the patch is
directly developed for a maintenance branch and all branches after that.
E.g. a patch for 4.1.5 would go to ipa-4-1, ipa-4-2 and master branch.
It would be in FreeIPA 4.1.5 milestone. Commits for each branch are
recorded in the ticket.

>      2) If another commit (which can be totally unrelated in
>         functionality, just touching the same area of code) needs to be
>         applied before the one you backport, do you add the ticket URL
>         to the prerequisite as well or create a new one?

If a backport happens much later, IMHO the proper way would be to create
a separate ticket for the backport and reference the original ticket(s)
and record all commits, even the prerequisites.
--
Petr Vobornik