[Freeipa-devel] Linking tickets in the commit messages

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 15:17:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 03:55:35PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>> >Speaking as IPA package maitainer in RHEL, I would like to have ticket
>> >link in every commit in maintenance branches. If a commit goes to the
>> >master branch only, I'm OK with it not having a ticket link. So that's
>> >where I would draw the line - if a commit goes into a maintenance branch,
>> >it is a reasonable piece of work.
>> Good suggestion, thanks. We actually have the same with Samba -- *any*
>> backport to released branches requires a new bug to be opened and
>> mentioned in the commit message.
>
>Seems reasonable for SSSD as well..
>
>Two questions:
>    1) If you backport from a non-maintenance branch to a maintenance
>       branch, do you also move the ticket? IOW, do you also expect the
>       list of changes to be visible in track, or do you only care about
>       'auditing' of each commit?
Samba clones the bug. FreeIPA does add a comment with the hashes
referencing the commits.

>    2) If another commit (which can be totally unrelated in
>       functionality, just touching the same area of code) needs to be
>       applied before the one you backport, do you add the ticket URL
>       to the prerequisite as well or create a new one?
If you have something else applying to a maintenance branch, just do a
bug for it. If it is a patch for making the backport more manageable for
applying, just have it part of the backport.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy