[Freeipa-devel] Stageuser API

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 14:52:28 UTC 2017

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that our API for stageuser is missing some commands that
user has (stageuser-{add,remove}-{principal,cert}). I was wondering if
there is reason for it but after asking some fellows developers it seems
that there's none.

I understand the stageuser area as a place where user entry can be
created and amended during the hiring process in organization, example:

1. HR creates the entry with just basic informations (givenname,
surname, manager)
2. IT assigns basic account information (uid, gid)
3. based on to-be-employee manager's request IT adds additional group
membership (memberOf)
4. based on to-be-employee request IT adds login alias (krbPrincipalName)
5. Security Officer adds certificate from Smart Card assigned to the
to-be-employee
6. HR adds extra information to the account (address, marital status, ...)
7. Facilities update work place related information (seat number, phone
number, ...)
8. At the first day IT activates the user account.

Considering this work flow I think it might be useful to have the same
API for stageuser as for the user.

Does the example work flow make sense?
Should we provide the same set of commands for user and stageuser?

Thanks for your ideas and opinions!
--
David Kupka