[OS:N:] newbie

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri May 28 13:02:09 UTC 2004

Will Hatch wrote:
> I am interested in the k12 linux project.  My problem is that i'm handy with computers, but basically self-taught.  Removing hard-drives and setting up a server scares me.  Where do I start?  Can anyone help??? Thanks!

About setting up the server, you did not mention if you have any
familiarity with Linux.  If you don't, the first thing you could do to
give you some confidence is to install Linux on a spare computer.  If
possible, choose one that is not actively used so you could take your
time to experiment.  Don't worry with LTSP at this point, just try to
grow some confidence and proficiency with Linux.  When you feel more
comfortable, you could try to tackle setting up your LTSP server.

I do not think you _actually_ need to remove the hard drives.  At first,
you could leave the hard drives there (with Windows and all) and boot
from a floppy to start an LTSP terminal.  That way, if you ever need
Windows again, you can just remove the floppy and boot into it.

I suggest you look for some help to get you started.  I would first look
for a LUG (Linux User Group) in your area and ask on their mailing list
or show up at one of their meeting.  We Linux users love to help people
solve problems, so I would not be surprised if you could find someone in
your area to volunteer a little of his time to give you a hand.

You could also ask the parents if one of them is familiar with Linux
and/or working in IT.