[OS:N:] OSCON and OS Eduction BoF

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Fri Jul 23 07:17:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 23:45:03 PM -0400, OpenSourceFan
(opensource at whitenitro.com) wrote:

> 2) What are the top 3 reasons that OS systems are not more widely
> adopted?

The first one is being locked in proprietary formats: you might adore
the FLOSS philosophy, learn Unix by night and adapt to a different
interface, but if you lose your Access DBs, Outlook addressbook, the
formatting of all your Word and Spreadsheet files is less than perfect
and the embedded macros don't work anymore *you* and your business are
blocked.

> 3) Would people be interested in contributing chapters to a book if
> we could find a publisher interested in releasing a book about the
> subject?

Maybe, please keep me posted. And consider listing RULE (see sig) as a
resource, for those cases where k12/ltsp solutions simply cannot be
used.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/

I doni ricevuti dal Padreterno, servono se utilizzati: chi li
contempla gode, ma chi ne fa uso probabilmente aiuta altri a godere.