[OS:N:] OSCON and OS Eduction BoF

Chris Spencer cspencer at cait.org
Sat Jul 24 12:49:04 UTC 2004

> So, I am wondering if anyone who actually knows something or has
> stories to relate might be going to OSCON or, barring that, can this
> group point me to web sites, provide sources for statistics, stories,
> etc that I could study over the weekend to get a crash course in what
> is happening nationally.

Join up with tech-geeks.org's mailing list and ask the same questions.

It seems that the unfunded no child left behind mandates forced almost
every school in Illinois into a pretty tight spot.  Most of them now
have at least some Linux servers in their server room.

Things like email, web servers, proxy servers, file servers, and
firewalls are all in common use.

Although I am not aware of any schools in Illinois using Linux desktops
I am aware of some of the schools embracing open source desktop apps
under other OS's.  Open office and Mozilla are probably the most
popular.

-Chris