[OS:N:] Re: Gimp V Photoshop

Larry D ljd65536 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 14:54:24 UTC 2004

Wow. This thread had been been pretty sleepy lately but my original post seems
to have woken everybody up. I've been away from my email for a day. Thanks
for all the comments. There are quite a few good suggestions for trying to
sell this. There must be something about a case like this that catches
peoples imagination. I talked to a few people at work about this and a couple
of people with Linux system administrator experience immediately volunteered
to help.  I'm inspired to pursue this.

I've been looking at the k12ltsp site and clearly part of the solution is to
address the ancient hardware problem. Image manipulation puts quite a burden
on a memory and  resources. I have some old hardware lying around that I'm
going to experiment with. For a few hundred dollars worth of memory, which I
will donate, I think I can make a server. The comments I have received
convince me that GIMP will do the job. If it can have a snappy response, I
think that should put it over the top.

I feel much less daunted by the technical issues than how to approach it with
the teacher and ultimately the educational bureaucracy.

Larry