[OS:N:] Seniors and open source

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Thu Apr 28 23:31:03 UTC 2005

On Thursday, Apr 28, 2005, at 18:05 US/Central, Jay Scherrer wrote:
> Are there any suggested sample syllabuses available from the list? I
> am probably going to use
> the Open CD project <http://www.theopencd.org> for the classroom
> material because we do have access to several Microsoft machines. But I
> haven't quite taught a class before, let a lone to Seniors. The
> director
> warned me that most of the Seniors are not very computer savvy. So any
> idea's will be appreciated.

Ask them, what do they do in the course of their daily lives?  Then
show them how they can accomplish the same things using a computer.

Some guesses:
  - keep in touch with family and friends ( e-mail with ThuderBird, or
with FireFox via Gmail )
  - buy gifts for loved ones, e.g. flowers, books, etc. (e.g. amazon.com
via FireFox )
  - join on-line discussions and communities ( e.g. Yahoo!Groups )

In fact, you could create an on-line group for the class.

Just some initial thoughts.  Good luck and let this list know how
things go.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent