[OS:N:] Why doesn't your neighbor use Linux?

Sitki Yurekli yurekli_sitki at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 14:50:13 UTC 2005

Hi Dan,

with my full support on such questions, two small comments if you agree
on them,

One of them is the "Don Quixote" sketch that you prefer to this cute
Penguin like to get a saddle on a mule rather than being "Don
Quixote"'s horse. Yes you're right in some sense as Linux has such kind
of an humble tendency in comparison with highly competition motivated
Microsoft but it's really hard to think that Microsoft has a fight
against wind-mills.

Second point. Beside your bullets mentioned in your page, it might be
better if there is a room for this well-known "digital divide" issue
and Linux promising part on the solution (which surely strengthens
Linux hand against Windows desktops) in relation with those sentences;

In daily practice, Microsoft has an outstanding support to education
with their special offers in prices to academic staff. But it's just a
"profitable" marketing strategy which forms Windows-addicted users,
accustomed to use computers "easily" by "user-friendly" designed
interfaces and softwares ("Allienation" might be another issue should
be disscussed on it, but....). Obvious that if they can get an advice
from their teachers, advisors, lecturer on Windows more comfortable
than Linux; if they need to prepare their assignments in Word-Excel or
another component of "user-friendly" Office packages; than they have a
very good reason to prefer and learn Windows rather than Linux. I'm
asking why don't those staff of education want to learn and use Linux
rather than Windows on theri desktops?? Presumably they are expected to
be "problem-solving" and "analytical" personalities..

I know, this argumentation can't deserve this small bundle of bits but
I try to keep as small as I noticed at the beginning.

Cheers,

Sitki Yurekli