[OS:N:] Why doesn't your neighbor use Linux?

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:39:25 UTC 2005

On 11/2/05, Sitki Yurekli <yurekli_sitki at yahoo.com> wrote:
> One of them is the "Don Quixote" sketch that you prefer to this cute
> Penguin like to get a saddle on a mule rather than being "Don
> Quixote"'s horse. Yes you're right in some sense as Linux has such kind
> of an humble tendency in comparison with highly competition motivated
> Microsoft but it's really hard to think that Microsoft has a fight
> against wind-mills.

Really, what I want there is an illustration of a penguin
riding a tank, or a tank with penguin logos all over it,
but I haven't had time to find one.

> Second point....
> In daily practice, Microsoft has an outstanding support to education
> with their special offers in prices to academic staff. But it's just a
> "profitable" marketing strategy which forms Windows-addicted users,
> accustomed to use computers "easily" by "user-friendly" designed
> interfaces and softwares ("Allienation" might be another issue should
> be disscussed on it, but....). Obvious that if they can get an advice
> from their teachers, advisors, lecturer on Windows more comfortable
> than Linux; if they need to prepare their assignments in Word-Excel or
> another component of "user-friendly" Office packages; than they have a
> very good reason to prefer and learn Windows rather than Linux. I'm
> asking why don't those staff of education want to learn and use Linux
> rather than Windows on theri desktops?? Presumably they are expected to
> be "problem-solving" and "analytical" personalities..

I do kind of touch on this in the "peer support" section
(where I link to "The Case for Linux in Universities")
and maybe the "Pre-Adaptation" section, but yes, perhaps
I could say it more explicitly.

Thanks,
Dan