Just how mainstream is it? Re: [OS:N:] Is the Open Source Now list alive?

Michael Williams mwilliams at haywood.k12.nc.us
Mon Jan 7 19:47:15 UTC 2008

We run both RHEL and OpenSuse.  (All the critical work is on the RHEL.)

I still have one lab of 30 linux thin clients (k12lsp) that has run for
5 years now and all I've done is replace two power supplies in clients
and one hard drive in the server. There are three other thin client labs
in the works and we are planning on some thick client experiments later
this year.

It would be hard to find a teacher or staff member in our district that
doesn't know about open source software resources, StarOffice, GIMP are
loaded on every computer that comes into the district.

We are evaluating the eeePC laptop and another one whose name escapes me
right now.

We use plone, moodle, wordpress for web and teacher sites.

Network monitoring, etc.....

All the "low hanging fruit" !

It is a  nightmare  trying to introduce change into the current public
educational institutions, even from inside, so I've decided to take an
early retirement next year and try a different approach, don't know
exactly what yet but it's time for a change. ;-)

Michael