pam_login_access vs. pam_access (fwd)

Mike Becher Mike.Becher at lrz-muenchen.de
Mon Jan 30 13:12:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, Mike Becher wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Jan 05, Mike Becher wrote:
>
> > > The second problem is that from gethostbyname only the first IP is
> > > used. This was already broken in the old version, but now it depends
> > > on if the IPv4 or the IPv6 address is the first one which is returned,
> > > pure luck if this is really working.
> > > getaddrinfo should be used instead.
> > I know thread safety and reentrants are two different things and if one
> > function is thread safe and/or reentrant depends on usage of function
> > that are also thread safe and/or reentrant.
>
> thread safe and reentrant are the same. If a function is reentrant, it
> is thread safe, too. If a function is thread safe, it is reentrant, too.
This is NOT correct. If a piece of code is reentrant then it is thread
safe too. But if it is thread safe it can be reentrant nut must not be
reentrant. Thread safety can be achieved also through other mechanism
like for example semaphores or such things to serialize access.
Thats why these are two differnet things. Please have a look at
http://thread-safe.iqnaut.net then you will find out the difference.

> Currently I'm rewriting this parts which use convert_hostname_r to
> use getaddrinfo, which is reentrant and which will check for all
> known IPs, not only the first one.
Ok, thanks for your effords.

best regards,
  mike

 Mike Becher                              Mike.Becher at lrz-muenchen.de
 Leibniz-Rechenzentrum der                http://www.lrz.de
 Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften  phone: +49-89-289-28721
 Gruppe Hochleistungssysteme              fax:   +49-89-280-9460
 Barer Strasse 21
 D-80333 Muenchen
 Germany