[publican-list] is publican-1.99 available to play with under ubuntu?

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Mon May 31 00:19:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 04:16 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2010, Bram Vogelaar wrote:
>
> > i havent found any .debs yet but if you managed to install the 1.6.3
> > version (and xml- and html- treebuilder .debs) from the debian
> > repository its a breeze to install from svn trunk.
> >
> > cd /path/to/svn/checkouts
> > svn co http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/publican
> > cd publican/trunk/publican
> > perl Build.Pl
> > install missing dependecies (6 -ish ) via your favorite package manager. (synaptic package manager => search for perl and then select correct ones)
> > ./Build
> > ./Build test
> > sudo ./Build install
> >
> > and then "Hup Hup Hup, Barbatruc" your done
> >
> > have fun with it, the new website feature is awesome
>
>   taking a stab at installing 1.99 on my ubuntu 10.04 box, the
> following *seems* to have done it but i'm willing to be corrected --
> i'm still new at ubuntu.
>
>   i grabbed the two noarch rpms from here:

IMHO you'd be much better off following Bram's instructions, much less
likely to have idiosyncratic behavior.

> http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/publican/
>
> used "alien" to simple-mindedly convert them to .deb files, installed
> them and a few tests of running "publican --help" convinced me to:
>
> 1) export PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0
>
> and
>
> 2) install the ubuntu packages
>
>   * libarchive_zip_perl
>   * libdbi_perl
>   * libtemplate_perl
>
> at which point i can at least run "publican --help" and have it work.
> beyond that, i haven't done any testing so i have no idea what else
> will fail as i look for the docs that explain how to use this newer
> version.  (are there docs somewhere?)
>
>   the only thing i skipped was the scriptlets that come with the rpm
> packages but there's only one for the website package:
>
> postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> /usr/bin/perl -e 'use Publican::WebSite; my $ws = Publican::WebSite->new(); $ws->regen_all_toc();'

This is how it worked before I integrated the web site code in to
publican, haven't got around to looking at the spec file stuff yet, you
can run:

$ publican update_site --site_config <path_to_config>

Note that I'm still debating whether or not to have all site management
stuff in a separate command, so you don't need the full publican tree
installed on your web server, ... but I'm not sure :)

>   since website is new to me, i have no idea what that's doing but i'm
> guessing i can always run it manually whenever i want before i start
> doing anything website-related, correct?
>
>   in any event, the above simple steps were enough to at least get me
> to a running publican 1.99 executable on ubuntu 10.04.  i am now ready
> to be chastised for what i did wrong. :-)

Anyway that gets you to your goal is a right way!

It might actually be worth getting the Debain build files, it should be
a small change to update the source file used, that way you could have
deb files to pop-up on a website like Rudi has done with the RPMs.

Cheers, Jeff.

--
Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com>
Software Engineer

Sure our competitors can rebuild the source but can they engage the customer the same way? -wmealing