[publican-list] Inserting lines > 80 chars long?

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Sun Mar 29 23:12:04 UTC 2015

On 03/28/2015 01:21 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
> On 03/28/2015 12:51 AM, Steve Bonneville wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:34:35AM +1000, David O'Brien wrote:
>>> Anyone know if it's possible to insert lines that are longer than 80
>>> characters, and not have them wrap in the output?

It's not possible without modifying the CSS.

>>> (I believe 80 chars is
>>> the max but not sure?)

In the Red Hat portal the content body is constrained to 970px.

>>> In this particular case I want to include an example config line for a
>>> kickstart file that you can copy/paste straight into the ks file, but
>>> the standard/normal output wraps the line. Apparently the ks file won't
>>> accept that.
>>>
>>> I've tried using <screen> and <programlisting> and futzed about with
>>> <![CDATA[ and so on, but the wrapping continues.
>>
>> ...may not be helpful, but I can tell that I'm used to rendering to
>> PDF as well as HTML, because my first reaction is that you're risking
>> running off the edge of the page by trying to suppress line wraps.... :)
>>
>> How far in the linewrap happens will depend on context (are you in a
>> <para> or in a <orderedlist> <listitem> somewhere) and the XSL of your
>> Publican brand.
>>
>> Typically, we're trying to deal with long lines by using explicit line
>> wraps in the examples, for situations where that's accepted.  For
>> instance, we'll use \ line continuation for long shell commands or
>> statements.  I think that Kickstart directives may accept that too,
>> but I haven't tested that recently myself.
>>
>>   -- Steve
>>
> Hi Steve
>
> I wondered about the PDF output as well,

Reading that on a mobile device would probably be a bad user experience.

> and thought I might have to
> just bite the bullet and warn the user to "enter all of the following on
> one line" or something, and then let the lines wrap where they will.
>
> The current example is in a <programlisting> block. We do what you
> suggested above for long shell commands, but I'm not set up to test what
> happens with ks files. I'm mostly going by other ppl's comments in that
> regard.

You might consider having standalone kickstart file/s in the examples
directory, link to it in the document body, and use text to describe
what's in the file.

Cheers, Jeff.