[publican-list] Inserting lines > 80 chars long?

David O'Brien daobrien at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 00:33:49 UTC 2015

On 03/30/2015 09:12 AM, Jeff Fearn wrote:
> On 03/28/2015 01:21 AM, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> It's not possible without modifying the CSS.

Not my first choice, I have to say. Prefer to keep the standard brand as
much as possible.

> In the Red Hat portal the content body is constrained to 970px.

>>> ...may not be helpful, but I can tell that I'm used to rendering to
>>> PDF as well as HTML, because my first reaction is that you're risking
>>> running off the edge of the page by trying to suppress line wraps.... :)
>>>
>>> How far in the linewrap happens will depend on context (are you in a
>>> <para> or in a <orderedlist> <listitem> somewhere) and the XSL of your
>>> Publican brand.
>>>
>>> Typically, we're trying to deal with long lines by using explicit line
>>> wraps in the examples, for situations where that's accepted.  For
>>> instance, we'll use \ line continuation for long shell commands or
>>> statements.  I think that Kickstart directives may accept that too,
>>> but I haven't tested that recently myself.
>>>
>>>   -- Steve
>>>
>> Hi Steve
>
>> I wondered about the PDF output as well,
>
> Reading that on a mobile device would probably be a bad user experience.

Yes, I wondered about that too and made a point of asking around, for
this particular use case, how prevalent mobile devices were. At this
point in time, not at all, but that could change at any time.

>> and thought I might have to
>> just bite the bullet and warn the user to "enter all of the following on
>> one line" or something, and then let the lines wrap where they will.
>
>> The current example is in a <programlisting> block. We do what you
>> suggested above for long shell commands, but I'm not set up to test what
>> happens with ks files. I'm mostly going by other ppl's comments in that
>> regard.
>
> You might consider having standalone kickstart file/s in the examples
> directory, link to it in the document body, and use text to describe
> what's in the file.

Also a possibility, and definitely on the list of things to consider.

thanks
David