[rhn-satellite-beta-users] satellite-installation: verification of cert fails

Peter Vetere pvetere at redhat.com
Fri Feb 2 15:03:32 UTC 2007

Christian Horn wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:19:29AM -0500, pvetere at redhat.com wrote:
>> Thanks for trying out the beta.  Based on your email, it appears that you
>> are
>> running a satellite on a guest instance (domU).  I also see that your prompt
>> says 'rhel4'.  Is the guest instance on which you are running the satellite
>> in
>> fact rhel4?  Please note that we are only supporting installation of the
>> satellite beta on a rhel4 physical system.
> I noticed in the docs and thats why i mentioned it, and you can now rise arms
> and say 'not my business', but i would like to hear in what kind you need a
> physical machine. You shouldnt need special kernel-modules or the like, only
> cause i can think of you dont want the satellite to run virtualized in some
> kind and check for that.

You're absolutely right.  Theoretically, there shouldn't be anything
preventing you from running a satellite in a domU, aside from perhaps
possible issues caused by misconfigured network bridging scripts on the
host.  The reason we don't support the beta satellite running in a domU
is simple -- we purposefully limited the scope of this release and did
not specifically QA that scenario, therefore we can't guarantee it will
work.  :-)

>> Could you send me your satellite certificate (via email)?  I will to
>> reproduce
>> the situation you are seeing.
> You should just get the mail.

Got it.  Thanks!  We will get back to you.

Pete