Testsuite for the ptrace-by-utrace emulation

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 00:08:50 UTC 2007

Thanks, Jan!  You've done a great job isolating solid regression tests for
problems we've seen and keeping track of them all.

Is there a legend for the little wiki icons in the "Testcases" table?
I guess thumb-up means it's been fixed and caution sign means it's broken?

Though most (not all) of the cases in the suite we have so far are for bugs
introduced by my utrace code, we intend this collection to be a general
regression test suite for the ptrace system call.  All its tests are for
the normal user behavior seen by using ptrace and related system calls,
nothing specific to utrace or other implementation details.  This should be
a good suite to use on older stable kernel branches too.

If anyone has more test cases for ptrace bugs seen in any past kernels,
please contribute them.  If you want to clean them up for integration into
the test suite package, that's great.  We can arrange cvs commit access if
you want to do it directly.  If you have just untidy old test cases dug out
of the archive, it's helpful and very little effort for you just to get
them on the table by posting here or adding something to the wiki.

Thanks,
Roland