[almighty] Service boundaries

Thomas Mäder tmader at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 08:58:44 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,

as our code base grows, I'm asking myself where the boundaries of the
"alm" service should lie. If we are building a monolith, we need a way
to structure our namespace or we'll end up with monster packages. The
case at hand is the remote issue replication service (see
https://github.com/almighty/almighty-core/issues/130 - 135). The service
could function entirely as a microservice "USING" the work item storage
service as a client. Instead, it lives in the same package ("models",
etc) and extends the API of the current service.

Is a microservice architecture what we strive for? If not, how can we
structure our package namespace to keep separate concerns separate?

Opinions?

/Thomas