[almighty] Subdomains and Model

Thomas Mäder tmader at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 09:15:50 UTC 2016

  Hi Len,

On 26.11.2016 04:20, Leonard Dimaggio wrote:
> Don't we want users to always/only exist in the context of a project?
>
> -- Len

I think we definitely don't want that. If ,like me for example, you are
a member of 4 organizations, you would have to have 4 different
Identities (and probably logins). Not cool!

I think github gets this totally right: you have roots (accounts which
have their own subdomains or root url's), that can belong to an
organisation or an individual. You can create project inside every root
where you have sufficient privileges. You log into the system, not a
particular subdomain. You always log in as a person, not an
organization. The rest is metadata and permissions.

I think the whole idea gets easier to think about when we separate
containment of assets (projects, issues, etc.) from control over assets.
Think about it this way: if a user was a container for projects, any
project belonging to an organization I'm a member of would contain the
projects that the user contains (containment being transitive). This
makes no sense.

*The simplest way to model the problem that fulfills the requirements
for me is to introduce the concept of an account. Think of it like a
bank account. You can open a personal account or one for your company.
For a personal account, you are naturally the "super user", you can put
money in your account, you can close the account, etc. With a company
account, you need a designated person (or multiple persons) that have
the "super user" privilege for that account. If we want to work with
subdomains, each account gets its own subdomain.*

Note that subdomains can be nothing but an alternative addressing scheme
for things. For example, we have system-unique ids for work items, so we
can always address them with almighty.io/workitems/<id>. Hence, we can
just rewrite an url containing a subdomain by removing the subdomain.
The important question is whether the subdomains act as a namespace. Can
you have the same project name twice in different subdomains or not?

/Thomas