[almighty] New thread - discussion on: capacity, scalability, responsive tests (and performance tests)

Leonard Dimaggio ldimaggi at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 17:15:08 UTC 2016

'Afternoon everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion about a topic that we'll have to consider
soon - system capacity, scalability, responsiveness - and how we create/run
automated performance tests. It's obviously premature to run stress tests
today, but we want to avoid a situation where we don't build for high
performance and scalability in the future.

Some topics we should discuss:

   - For our hosted and on-premise service, how many concurrent users do we
   want to support?
   - For a project, how many work items will constitute a "small,"
   "medium," or "large" project?
   - What response times do we want to support for queries that return 10
   workitems, 100 workitems, 10000 workitems
   - etc

We will want to build automated tests to verify the performance/throughput,
reliability, etc. - Ideally we'll start with a basic framework for tests
that can be run directly against the core and through the UI - and we'll
want to start building the framework and tests early so that they can be
improved incrementally in the sprints.
Does anyone have opinions, suggestions, requests, etc?

Thanks!,
Len D.

--
Len DiMaggio (ldimaggi at redhat.com)