[almighty] New thread - discussion on: capacity, scalability, responsive tests (and performance tests)

Michael Kleinhenz kleinhenz at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 17:47:32 UTC 2016

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I think it is really important to set
goals here as soon as possible and continuously challenge the system
architecture with them. Scaling is possibly a nasty neckbreaker when not
considered from the start. The PDD does not contain real numbers here.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Leonard Dimaggio <ldimaggi at redhat.com>
wrote:

> 'Afternoon everyone,
>
> I wanted to start a discussion about a topic that we'll have to consider
> soon - system capacity, scalability, responsiveness - and how we create/run
> automated performance tests. It's obviously premature to run stress tests
> today, but we want to avoid a situation where we don't build for high
> performance and scalability in the future.
>
> Some topics we should discuss:
>
>    - For our hosted and on-premise service, how many concurrent users do
>    we want to support?
>    - For a project, how many work items will constitute a "small,"
>    "medium," or "large" project?
>    - What response times do we want to support for queries that return 10
>    workitems, 100 workitems, 10000 workitems
>    - etc
>
> We will want to build automated tests to verify the
> performance/throughput, reliability, etc. - Ideally we'll start with a
> basic framework for tests that can be run directly against the core and
> through the UI - and we'll want to start building the framework and tests
> early so that they can be improved incrementally in the sprints.
> Does anyone have opinions, suggestions, requests, etc?
>

> Thanks!,
> Len D.
>

> --
> Len DiMaggio (ldimaggi at redhat.com)
> JBoss by Red Hat
> 314 Littleton Road
> Westford, MA 01886  USA
> tel:  978.392.3179
> cell: 781.472.9912
> http://www.redhat.com
> http://community.jboss.org/people/ldimaggio

Michael Kleinhenz
Principal Software Engineer

Red Hat Deutschland GmbH
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

RED HAT | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB
153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill