[almighty] Approach for writing unit tests for Github OAuth2.0 auth

Thomas Mäder tmader at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 08:00:25 UTC 2016

Hi Shoubhik,

I think both kinds of test have their place. If we want to verify that
our code does what we want it to do (tests as specification), it makes a
lot of sense to test very specific interactions. Since OAuth is
basically a sequence of requests to our server, there really isn't a
need to "mock" anything: it's just a sequence of http requests where we
need to check the proper responses. I would want this test to work
without needing anything outside my local machine, so that I can work
when I'm offline.

However, in the wild, many things may go wrong: it might be as stupid as
a corporate firewall filtering out some headers from requests. Also, our
test might not accurately represent the behaviour of Github OAuth in
every detail. Having that safety net seems valuable to me. It may be
hard to cover every use case in these tests. We may want to start with
covering 1-2 basic flows and add more as regression tests as we go along.

What I think is important for productivity is that I can run all the
local tests while I am developing in a simple way.

just my 0.02€

/Thomas