[almighty] Approach for writing unit tests for Github OAuth2.0 auth

Shoubhik Bose shbose at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 15:55:36 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

This is an extension to a discussion we were having about what would be the
apt approach to write tests for Github authentication on the alm core (
backend ).

We've written a bunch of tests which checks if our code does the Github
OAuth flow correctly.

However the alternate school of thought is:

Should we have a 'mock' Github OAuth provider to also test our code, since
conventionally tests should not be depending on external systems.

On the flip-side, if test failures are not caught with a real Github OAuth
provider we might ending up chasing bugs in production.

Let me know your thoughts.

-
Shoubhik