[almighty] Test "classes"

Andrew Lee Rubinger alr at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 13:05:45 UTC 2016

Great seed to the discussion.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Michael Kleinhenz <kleinhenz at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just to start some discussion. I would divide tests for the ui into
> three classes:
>
> 1. Unit Tests
> -> ususal stuff, testing internal wiring and payload code.
>
> 2. Functional Tests
> -> tests of the ui behaviour, like "when I add a workitem using the
> form, does it appear in the listview?". For this tests, I would go for
> a full mocking of external services and use something native to keep
> dependencies footprint small.

With regards to the UI tests, you might even consider mocking *our* backend
to give you expected responses and exceptional cases.  Then you decouple
the UI from our impl and validate based on contracted cases, and can even
build UI components independently of the work being done on the backend.

> 3. Smoke (or E2E) Tests
> -> tests the full setup, starts all services, cases go full stack. For
> this, we'll need a powerful test framework that can cover full stack.

Can you expand on the need for a test framework?  Let's focus on
requirements and benefits before discussing solutions. :)

> For responsibility (or location), I'll see 1 and 2 go into the
> respective repository. For 3, I'll would see that as a seperate thing,
> *maybe* even a seperate repository.

Sounds consistent with how I'd lay things out.

In general I'll have unit and functional tests (as you've described) scoped
to and residing inside the module they're testing.

Then I often apply a test module to contain e2e tests, and the test module
depends on the full assembly/deployment (and transitively everything
else).  Ideally speaking we can run these against the production-like
environment.

Do you yet have a module stable enough to prototype up how you'd like to
lay things out?

S,
ALR

> Any thoughts?
>
> -- Michael
>
> --
> Michael Kleinhenz
> Principal Software Engineer
>
> Red Hat Deutschland GmbH
> Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
> 85630 Grasbrunn
> Germany
>
> RED HAT | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
> Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
> Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht München,
> HRB 153243,
> Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
> Michael O'Neill

Red Hat Developer Programs Architecture
@ALRubinger