[almighty] Test "classes"

Michael Kleinhenz kleinhenz at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 14:20:52 UTC 2016

>> 2. Functional Tests
>
> With regards to the UI tests, you might even consider mocking *our* backend
> to give you expected responses and exceptional cases.  Then you decouple the
> UI from our impl and validate based on contracted cases, and can even build
> UI components independently of the work being done on the backend.

yes, that's what I had in mind. There is also code already in the UI for that.

>> 3. Smoke (or E2E) Tests
>> -> tests the full setup, starts all services, cases go full stack. For
>> this, we'll need a powerful test framework that can cover full stack.
>
> Can you expand on the need for a test framework?  Let's focus on
> requirements and benefits before discussing solutions. :)

We'll need something that serves as the testrunner there, maybe
Arquillian that could not only do E2E tests with a UI entrypoint, but
can also test REST services and other entrypoints.

> Then I often apply a test module to contain e2e tests, and the test module
> depends on the full assembly/deployment (and transitively everything else).
> Ideally speaking we can run these against the production-like environment.

Exactly! Dream scenario would be to just give the E2E test suite a
reference to some registry tags and it runs and tests the setup.

As an alternative, I've seen a project that had the E2E tests directly
baked into the production: it could be run like a healthcheck, used
special test user accounts and could be run right from the
adminstrative dashboard. They even segmented it to allow the third
level support guys to run quick tests of certain areas of the system
right from their support dashboard.

> Do you yet have a module stable enough to prototype up how you'd like to lay
> things out?

For 3: no, not at this time. For 1 and 2: thats a goal for this sprint
in UI. Should be in place next week. We're currently looking in what
testrunner to use for 2.

-- Michael

--
Michael Kleinhenz
Principal Software Engineer

Red Hat Deutschland GmbH
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

RED HAT | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht München,
HRB 153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill