[almighty] Idea: modelling iterations

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 14:23:42 UTC 2016

On 22 Sep 2016, at 18:52, Michael Kleinhenz wrote:

> Another possible model would be to have Iterations itself as a WIT.
> Although this would require much more work on manage iterations (like,
> create iteration would mean actual creation of a WI instead of just
> attaching a label value). On the other hand, querying for iteration
> contents could be simpler (by using query ops already there for
> queries on WIs).

I think this would be going too far IMO.

Iterations and labels feels to me like things that warrants first class
citizen and
not just something encoded inside the generic work item.

That said - I agree that things like iterations and other data that are
used
for grouping/categorizing should be as nice and light to use. Nothing
worse
having to do several clicks to just put something in a specific bucket
when
it could be done by typing a label/version/iteration etc. and have it
created on the fly.

My preference for anything use for categorisation/grouping is to
allow defining strictly hierarchical taxonomies via a path like
structure.

i.e. Alpina/#116 and Banxia/#119 as iterations allowing to "encode"
release train+sprint and
ten be able to put issues into Alpina/#116 or Alpina dependent on what
granualarity that makes
sense.

Same for areas/components/labels could be useful as hierarchies that can
be created on the fly
or if a project chooses "locked" down.

Now writing through these one could maybe just have a "Categorisation
type"
   and "Categorisation" and say work items can have fields of type
"Categorization".

i.e. Areas, Components, Labels, Iterations, ...

And these have name, (optional) description, (optional) time frame
(start/stop).

Initially I would probably limit users access to customize the category
types, but
it seems like it would be interesting to model these categorisation
fields in a similar manner
and then at the UI/UX layer visualise them what fits best for them.

Hope that makes sense ;)
WDYT ?

/max