[almighty] Names and Definitions

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 19:51:36 UTC 2016

>> P.S.  I noticed your reference to bug tracking - will this be an
>> external
>> system (bugzilla, JIRA, git, etc.) or something that we will build
>> in?
>>

> Yes. :P
>
> It's our own view of the issue-tracking world, so it's internal.
> Additionally we will be using other systems as extensible backends and
> data
> providers.

to be clear - almighty notion of remote issues is explicitly kept simple
so we do *not* need to treat them as backends, but mainly data
providers.

Could we in future use GitHub and jira as our backend for issues ? I
doubt it. Could we make it so we could sync more data between the
systems ? Sure - but I think we can get more done and be more useful to
users if we do not try and treat the remote issue trackers as backends.

By definition - if they are remote issues they are *not* in a backend,
if they are in our backend they are not remote issues.

/max

>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Andrew Lee Rubinger <alr at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Something I'd like to iron out sooner than later are common terms
>>> and
>>> definitions, because getting to a mutual understanding about what
>>> we're
>>> referring to starting to be pretty relevant. :)
>>>
>>> Alongside the discussions we had on this list last week, could I ask
>>> the
>>> UXD team to take the lead on moderating the definitions and
>>> relationships
>>> among the following constructs?  A graphical representation of
>>> relationships where appropriate would be wonderful.
>>>
>>> * "Almighty System" - An instance of Almighty.  Contains all
>>> "Almighty
>>> User" accounts and "Almighty Projects".
>>> * "Almighty Project" - A top-level container for an application
>>> shared
>>> among users/teams.  May hold N "Codebases", has issue tracking,
>>> build and
>>> deployment environments.  Eventually will have realtime
>>> communications.
>>> * "Codebase" - Basically a repository.  Can be N in a "Project"
>>> * "Environment" - Target for running builds or deployments
>>> * "Almighty User" - My account
>>> * "Workspace" - The WebIDE view of an "Almighty Project".  Contains
>>> the
>>> "Codebases", each of which may require its own Stack to be
>>> built/tested.
>>> * "Stack" - Runtime to build a codebase or deploy its resultant
>>> artifacts.  In practice, equates to an image which may be run as a
>>> container.  NOTE: currently Che, as I understand it, has one Stack
>>> per
>>> Workspace.  We'll need to address that in order to support opening,
>>> for
>>> instance, a Java codebase and a Node codebase in the same workspace.
>>> * Other important concepts I've missed here
>>>
>>> The terms definitions I'm using here are placeholders and could
>>> likely do
>>> with something else that's descriptive and not so overloaded.  The
>>> definitions are also up for debate -- everything is open to review
>>> now, but
>>> let's try to get things at this level to gel quickly.
>>>
>>> S,
>>> ALR
>>>
>>> --
>>> Red Hat Developer Programs Architecture