[almighty] modeling 'types' for planner work items

Todd Mancini tmancini at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 13:35:25 UTC 2016

I'll go on the record as saying that I once helped create a system whereby
child tasks could automatically update parent tasks -- for example: "all
the children are done, so mark the parent as done."

It was a terrible, terrible mistake.

Yes, on paper, it looks like the right thing to do. In reality, reality is
much, much different. For very strict, waterfall processes, it can
sometimes work. But that assumes you've got a completely well-defined,
repeatable and essentially unchanging process. (e.g. an assembly line or a
process you manage with a Gantt chart). But, outside of that scope, it
rarely works well.

e.g. consider a value prop broken down into experiences to be accomplished
over the next 6 months. Assume all of the experiences are completed. Is the
value prop now 'done/realized'? Maybe it is, but maybe it is not (or at
least not fully). Maybe to fully realize the value prop requires three 6
month seasons of experiences. In other words, just because I have 4
children now doesn't mean I won't have additional children later. The
closing out of the value prop is really a human decision, not an
algorithmic one.

Will some people want automatically closing parents? Probably. Should we
have that as an option? Maybe, but not for Pizza the Hutt. Many, many
popular systems are surviving without this feature and happy users. The
unhappy ones can go use IBM DOORS or something like that. :)

Note that it may be valuable to *highlight* any such inconsistencies --
e.g., some form of UI that draws my attention to an open parent with all
children closed, or a report that lists all such WIs for me. That may help
me to identify things on which I should make a decision.

   -Todd