[almighty] Notes from the Planner Team Kickoff

Michael Kleinhenz kleinhenz at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 12:48:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

just some quick notes from the planner team kickoff:

- Scope / Team-Tasks
 - we now have a vertical split, with full stack responsibility,
frontend AND backend.
 - exact boundaries between Platform, Planner and others are still to be
   determined, and may be flowing.
 - goal is to minimize blockings and have faster iterations/innovations.
 - still, good communication is required between Platform, Planner
etc. After all, we're one team!

- Timeline/Milestones
  - TODO Michael: we want to have a timeline plan, like the
architectural runway with
    added estimated delivery dates or some other time component in the runway.

- Project Handling
  - plannings / Dailys are happening as usual for now.
  - sprints are planned as usual for now, will likely change with the
meeting structure.
  - repositories will likely change, but this is still in the works,
part of current sprint.
  - goal is to prevent downtimes, if we run out of tasks for a topic,
lets talk what we can do:
     -> working on tech depds (TODO Michael, we need a place to write
down depts).
     -> new stories (team consideration).
     -> extra tasks / forseeable tasks from top backlog stories (like
in the last sprint, worked well).

- Code Reviews / PRs
  - no 1 priority: avoid blocks, avoid major rebasing efforts.
  - everyone reviews.
  - everyone can hit the button, but needs to take responsibility:
     -> make sure the PR runs all tests green and also works manually.
     -> make sure more than one team member has looked on the code.
     -> make sure all questions/comments on the PR are resolved.
  - we need small PRs and meaningful commit/PR messages.
  - TODO Michael: we may get a stagig/experimental server and branch.

- Coding Style
  - we need to do more code comments / documentation, at least inline:
      -> if working on a re-used area, mak sure it is documented (ex.
mock-service).
      -> if working on an area that is exposed to the outside (like
the Platform project), do inline
          documentation AND documentation in devdocs.
      -> if working on complex code, do line-by-line documentation on
what the code does,
          don't create a Necronomicon for future developers :-)

I will likely be in India in February. The details are currently worked out.

-- Michael

--
Michael Kleinhenz
Principal Software Engineer

Red Hat Deutschland GmbH
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany

RED HAT | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht München,
HRB 153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill