[almighty] Clarification around Types

Todd Mancini tmancini at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 14:24:54 UTC 2017

Can teams be hierarchical? No. The purpose of teams is to have a 'flat
list' that maps to the hierarchy of areas. This is a tremendous help in
setting up a reasonable UI with reasonable navigation. When navigation is
based upon hierarchies, it becomes very difficult and unruly quickly.Teams
are a great way to collapse the complex hierarchy down to a flat list. It
also permits navigation which does not map well to the hierarchy. (e.g. if
the hierarchy is mapped to functional areas -- in our case, things like
Platform, Planner, Deploy, etc. -- then what do you do for people that
interact with all of those areas? Cross-cutting concerns like Security and
Documentation. Teams let you define a Security team which maps to the
security areas of each of those functional areas -- essentially providing a
pivot on the original hierarchy.)

Are releases a type of iteration? Yes and no. Iterations are paths. There
is no pre-defined meaning on the elements of those paths. So while we may
set up something such as:
Carnation
   Sprint 124
   Sprint 125
   Sprint 126
   Sprint 127
Daffodil
   Sprint 128
   Sprint 129

the saas has no idea that Carnation and Daffodil are 'releases'. We, as
this team, are simply using this convention and all agree that those are
releases. That's why I answered 'yes and no'. Yes, inasmuch as you can use
iteration paths to represent releases. No, inasmuch as the system does not
have a predefined concept of a 'release'.

This model lets you do things such as: map Experience E73 to Daffodil, and
map the child Features of E73 to the various sprints. (e.g. Feature F1221
is a child of E73 and has an assigned iteration of 'Daffodil/Sprint 129')