Now Asus K8V Deluxe, was: [Any issues with MSI K8T-NEO-FIS2R?]

Ashley Gittins amd64 at purple.dropbear.id.au
Fri Feb 27 17:38:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:03 pm, Jesse Keating wrote:
> We (Pogo Linux) sold a customer a MSI K8T when they first came out, with
> the understanding that we hadn't done any R&D on it and the customer was
> going to be testing it out.  The customer had horrible results, and
> basically an unusable system in 64bit Linux.  However, recent purchasers
> of this board report that no problems are found.  Most likely it's due to
> an early revision that bios flashing cannot repair.
>
> We (Pogo again) have since moved on and selected the Asus K8V Deluxe
> systemboard for our Athlon64 system.  This board offers a 3com GigE nic
> that works w/ Linux (sk98lin), two sets of SATA ports that work with Linux
> (sata_promise, sata_via), audio that works with Alsa, and a very fast
> platform.  The price isn't all that much different from the MSI K8T-Neo.

Thanks for the pointers Jesse and Robert. Thanks also to those letting me know
their opteron/FX configs - some useful info on vendor support if not for my
chosen cpu.

Yes, here in Australia the k8v is only $14 more. As to speed, all the
benchmarks I've seen place them neck and neck, but having gigE and a
supported onboard sound chip, plus confirmed sata support all sound pretty
good to me. Nice also is the wifi riser, which I can get here as an add-on
for AU$30 or so - not that i've seen any evidence of linux support for it
yet.

Robert, your point about static on the via sound chip was one thing that had
me planning to use my SBLive in the new system - my previous experience with
via sound chips had me a little worried about the whole via thing. Hopefully
it's only an issue with (some of?) their sound codecs.

I've since found some comments that indicate the corsair DDR400 low-latency
ram works well on the k8v, which was my only remaining reservation on the
asus board. As such I think you've convinced me, Jesse :-)

Unless of course anyone has some dire warnings about the k8v _socket754_
board....

--
Regards,
        Ashley Gittins