Any issues with MSI K8T-NEO-FIS2R?

Eric Varsanyi redhat64 at foo21.com
Fri Feb 27 17:32:24 UTC 2004

I'll add my .02 as well: Our company makes a product that embeds tyan
and supermicro motherboards. It took our H/W guys months to make the
Tyan boards (these were P3 boards, S1568 I think, the supermicro's are
the P4's) stable with 4G of RAM, basically Tyan support didn't help at
all but our memory vendor was willing to experiment (due to the large
volumes) and found that the Tyan boards required slightly different timings
programmed into the SPD's and a slightly different configuration of decoupling
caps on the sticks. Once we had memory that worked with these boards they
were rock solid. We went thru a similar but much less painful dance trying to
get 8G working on the P4 Supermicro boards (P4DPE), I think it went faster
because Supermicro gave us better support and worked with the memory vendor.

I have 1 test Opteron system from last year with 8G on it, but since the
memory is distributed and the memory controllers are in the CPU's I had
no problems at all using standard registered gig sticks from the outset.

-Eric