Help with packages

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 01:38:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Wayne ward wrote:

>Is there any support at all for 32 bit games in linux 64?

Any 32 bit software should generally work as long as the proper
compatibility libraries are installed.  One exception to this, is
OpenGL software requiring DRI based 3D acceleration, as there is
no 32->64 bit compatibility in DRM yet.

>I was going to try and copy the 32 bit library files accross and use
>ldconfig.

That will not work.

>There are quiet a few packages I use on fedora core 1 (32 bit version)
>That I require on fedora 64 core 1, But these are not in the distro.

Do you mean you need 32 bit packages under the 64bit OS?  If so,
just install the binary rpms from the 32bit OS in the 64bit OS.
No need to recompile.