Northbridge Machine Check during package installation (Fedora yarrow)

Ashley J Gittins amd64 at purple.dropbear.id.au
Wed Mar 10 06:25:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:33 pm, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> At a first glance, I would suspect faulty hardware also.  It is
> possible it could be caused by other things as well though.

I would agree with Mike here, I've only come across machine exception checks a
few times, but each time I've researched it the impression I get is that in
all cases it is faulty hardware. I still suspect there could be exceptions to
this (no pun intended).

The first thing I would do is run memtest86 on it - assuming it has been
updated to work ok with these systems. It could be faulty ram, or a mobo
fault in that area (although for amd64, that would be limited to power, since
mem controller is on-die).

I would recommend throwing an email to the manufacturer, they might have come
across it before, or they may immediately concede it to be a hardware
problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it gives you somewhere to start.

Cheers,
	Ash.