Northbridge Machine Check during package installation (Fedora yarrow)

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Wed Mar 10 15:15:33 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 01:25, Ashley J Gittins wrote:
> The first thing I would do is run memtest86 on it - assuming it has been
> updated to work ok with these systems. It could be faulty ram, or a mobo
> fault in that area (although for amd64, that would be limited to power,
> since mem controller is on-die).

I believe there is a "new" version of memtest86 (memtest86+ ?) available in
Fedora development which supports the x86_64.

I would also try installing a 32 bit OS (e.g., Fedora Core 1) and see if you
still get machine checks ... if you do, I would conclude hardware problem ...
if you do not, that still does not mean you do not have a hardware problem.

I have been using FC1 x86_64 on an ASUS SK8V with an Option 140 and have no
problems.  Have you tried running the UP kernel?

Gene