dual head radeon -- again

hansel at hansel.mnstate.edu hansel at hansel.mnstate.edu
Tue Mar 16 12:42:44 UTC 2004

I've found many archived emails in many places about this problem with no
general solution and nothing that helps me now.

This is the 3d OS install in about 8 months on this machine and the 3d
struggle to get the dual head display working properly.  This is a fedora
x86_64 install with XFree86 rpm=4.3.0-55.

This system is a DP Tyan MB with a ATI Rage on the MB and an ATI radeon
7500 PCI card -- total 3 video outputs. I want to use the radeon card only
with two monitors and ignore the MB VGA. The old configuration files do
not work and the RH configuration scripts, though much improved, don't get
the job done. I consistently get a cloned display -- every kestroke
doubled (without doubling the pleasure).

X errors complain that the ATI Rage is undefined.  That is, X finds the
controller at PCI 3:6:0 with no corresponding device definition in the
X86Config file (exactly what I intend!). Then it gives me the cloned
display. When I define the device -- without any screen assigned to it, it
just screws up the screen resolution on a nicely cloned display.

As helpful as the man pages are, I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. I
think the Tyan MB is common among Opteron users. Any help out there? I'm
anxious to get back to writing before my so-called Spring Break ends!

Clearly, I am missing something fundamental.

Thanks.

--
Mark Hansel
Minnesota State University Moorhead