dual head radeon -- again

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 18:55:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 hansel at hansel.mnstate.edu wrote:

>I've found many archived emails in many places about this problem with no
>general solution and nothing that helps me now.
>
>This is the 3d OS install in about 8 months on this machine and the 3d
>struggle to get the dual head display working properly.  This is a fedora
>x86_64 install with XFree86 rpm=4.3.0-55.

I presume "3d" above means "third" and not really "3D" as in 3D
graphics, because dualhead and 3D acceleration are incompatible
with each other.

>This system is a DP Tyan MB with a ATI Rage on the MB and an ATI
>radeon 7500 PCI card -- total 3 video outputs. I want to use the

You should be aware that PCI Radeon hardware is only supported
experimentally.  Some PCI Radeon models work on some motherboards
on some architectures, and some do not work.  There's no known
pattern of what works or doesn't work yet, which is why it is
experimental only status.  Also, even if one can get 2D to work
on PCI Radeon, 3D is even more experimental, and may not work at
all, although it does work also for some people.

>radeon card only with two monitors and ignore the MB VGA. The
>old configuration files do not work and the RH configuration
>scripts, though much improved, don't get the job done. I
>consistently get a cloned display -- every kestroke doubled
>(without doubling the pleasure).

If you get a cloned display, you might be able to get around that
by reading the "radeon"  manpage and trying the MonitorLayout
option documented there.  That generally solves all problems
related to clone-mode.  Note that this is something that must be
done by hand right now and is not autodetectable currently, which
is why the config tools do not put the MonitorLayout option in
place when it is needed - there is no way for the config tool to
know wether it is needed or not.  Just something that must be
manually configured by hand for now.

>X errors complain that the ATI Rage is undefined.  That is, X
>finds the controller at PCI 3:6:0 with no corresponding device
>definition in the X86Config file (exactly what I intend!). Then
>it gives me the cloned display. When I define the device --
>without any screen assigned to it, it just screws up the screen
>resolution on a nicely cloned display.

Disable the onboard video in your BIOS, or via a jumper on the
motherboard and th Rage problem should go away.

>As helpful as the man pages are, I'm at a bit of a loss what to
>do. I think the Tyan MB is common among Opteron users. Any help
>out there? I'm anxious to get back to writing before my
>so-called Spring Break ends!

Hopefully my above info is helpful and can get you up and
running.

Good luck!
TTYL