dual head radeon -- again

Mark mark at harddata.com
Fri Mar 19 16:38:23 UTC 2004

On March 17, 2004 08:46 pm, "Mike A. Harris" <mharris at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> I presume "3d" above means "third" and not really "3D" as in 3D
> >> graphics, because dualhead and 3D acceleration are incompatible
> >> with each other.
> >
> >Not with the newer DRI drivers. They added support for MergedFB to the
> > Radeon Driver. This is similar to way FireGl Drivers work.
>
> I believe you're talking about experimental development drivers
> from DRI-CVS or somewhere else, however I am talking about
> officially released XFree86.org drivers that come directly with
> XFree86, but more specifically I mean the Red Hat radeon driver,
> which has many additional bug fixes and support enhancments
> above what is in stock XFree86 4.3.0.

Sorry, thought that someone had been using it with the stock FC1 version of
XFree86. It turns out he just fixed his dual head setup which adding options
that were not supported. I did tell him that he may need to compile the new
DRI stuff to do it. I was some what surprised when he emailed almost right
back saying that MergedFB fixed his dual head display. I mistakenly assumed
that it was stuff in the kernel portion of the driver when it is actually
patched directly to the XFree86 Source.

BTW I just want to state that I didn't mean to imply that Mike Harris doesn't
know what he's doing. I know that he is very accomplished and does an
excellent job. Keep up the good work Mike.
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--