install extra ix86 packages after system installation

Jason Knight tuxpenguin at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 23 02:58:32 UTC 2004

>Maybe Justin's suggestion of specially built packages in Fedora Extras or
>something is about the only solution ... either that or doing what I did with
>instally the ix86 package and then reinstalling the x86_64 package.  Both of
>

> these will work and not impact the work of Red Hat or others. However,
> they
> are both major efforts in their own right *and could easily screw up a
> system*
>
>Gene

I know this firsthand, somewhere along installing xine, mplayer, and
xfce4 my gnome got washed, I am now getting bonobo-server-activation
errors and have to resort to KDE. I tried reinstalling all of the x86_64
packages and then subsequently deleting all of gnome and installing
again but to no avail.

Now as for installing things through yum: lets say I am trying to
install k3b (cd and DVD burning frontend), yum tells me this

> I will do the following:
> [install: k3b 0.11.6-0.fdr.1.1.i386]
> I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
> [deps: cyrus-sasl 2.1.15-6.i386]
> [deps: gdbm 1.8.0-21.i386]
> [deps: pcre 4.4-1.i386]
> [deps: pam 0.77-15.i386]
> [deps: libsamplerate 0.0.15-0.fdr.4.1.i386]
> [deps: libsndfile 1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1.i386]
> [deps: openldap 2.1.22-8.i386]
> [deps: cups-libs 1:1.1.19-13.i386]
> [deps: cracklib 2.7-23.i386]
> [deps: kdelibs 6:3.1.4-4.i386]
> [deps: libxslt 1.0.33-2.i386]
> Is this ok [y/N]:

I see that about half of these are libs, but what about the others?
Should I be rebuilding all of the program rpms? That is an awful lot of
work. Well I went ahead and tried it and yum came up with this:

> Running test transaction:
> Errors reported doing trial run
> file /usr/share/openldap/ucdata/case.dat from install of
> openldap-2.1.22-8 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.1.22-8
> file /usr/share/openldap/ucdata/cmbcl.dat from install of
> openldap-2.1.22-8 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.1.22-8
> file /usr/share/openldap/ucdata/comp.dat from install of
> openldap-2.1.22-8 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.1.22-8
> file /usr/share/openldap/ucdata/ctype.dat from install of
> openldap-2.1.22-8 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.1.22-8
> file /usr/share/openldap/ucdata/decomp.dat from install of
> openldap-2.1.22-8 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.1.22-8
> file /usr/share/openldap/ucdata/kdecomp.dat from install of
> openldap-2.1.22-8 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.1.22-8
> file /usr/share/openldap/ucdata/num.dat from install of
> openldap-2.1.22-8 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.1.22-8

Is this where I uninstall openldap (x86_64) and then let yum install the
ix86 version then overwrite with the x86_64 package afterwards?

--
Jason Knight
Fedora Core 1 Test 1 *x86_64*