install extra ix86 packages after system installation

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Mar 22 22:47:18 UTC 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 17:14, Florian La Roche wrote:
> > Agreed but I don't think Redhat is going to go to the trouble of
> > repackaging all the i386 packages so the install cleanly on a x86_64
> > system just on the chance that someone might want to install it.
>
> The number of *.i386.rpm packages we distribute is already pretty large
> and if you have specific needs for more libs I'd like to hear what they
> are and for what they are needed.
>
> Also if those *.i386.rpm packages are already shipped for the x86 product
> it is not a too big step to also add them into the x86_64 product.

Maybe, maybe not ... SuSE currently ships "lots" of ix86 packages with their
x86_64 distribution  ... but then their distribution ships on two DVDs
(actually a dual sided DVD).  The Fedora Core target (and from what I can see
RHEL also) is a single DVD for both binary and source.  To simply add all
ix86 packages which have libraries and could be used by some application does
not appear reasonable (IMHO).

>From my perspective, a better solution (no not one I consider
reasonable/acceptable either) is to feed the i386 cdroms into the x86_64
install process ... but this would (I believe) unnecessarily complicate the
install process for just one platform.

The real question is just how much need is there (by users) to actually run
both 64-bit and 32-bit applications on the same operating system.  I have FC1
x86_64 running but want to run galeon also (I prefer it).  Galeon requires
some of the mozilla libraries (currently 32 bit on FC1) but also requires a
whole bunch of other packages (a real bowl of spaghetti when you start
looking at the dependency tree).

The best approach is to have all of the packages with binary programs split
but, even if Red Hat agreed to do that, it would take a long time to
accomplish.

Maybe Justin's suggestion of specially built packages in Fedora Extras or
something is about the only solution ... either that or doing what I did with
instally the ix86 package and then reinstalling the x86_64 package.  Both of
these will work and not impact the work of Red Hat or others.  However, they
are both major efforts in their own right and could easily screw up a system.

Yet another approach ... user community effort to build a distribution which
does things like SuSE.  This is not silver bullet either since it does not
solve the problem of installing an ix86 package post system installation.

Oh well, maybe someone can enhance yum/up2date so that if you install a new
ix86 package and the "same" package is installed as x86_64, then the x86_64
package would be re-installed.

Gene