FC3 install on SATA

G. Vamsee Krishna vamsee_k at students.iiit.net
Mon Nov 22 02:01:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, kockkin ko wrote:

> Not to mentioned the heartache I have to install my other favorite distros:
> free BSD, gentoo, LFS...... ooh I got more enough heartache and
> frustration to boot them!!!!!!!! ......... Kernel panic, never able to
> find the root partition.
> Other distros? ... Not even able to find the drive from the start of
> the installation.  Disapointed!!!!!
>
> Appreciate anyone with any hint and suggestions.

Disable SATA feature in your BIOS. Now the drive should be recognized as a
normal PATA disk. Install Debian, recompile with SATA support and enable
SATA. I'm not sure how this works as I've never tried it myself. Try
googling for "SATA support for Debian". If it works for Debian, it should
work for other distros.

Vamsee

--
experience is what you get when you don't get what you really wanted