FC3 install on SATA

Matthew E. Lauterbach mlauterbach at mail.wtamu.edu
Mon Nov 22 02:39:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 07:31 +0530, G. Vamsee Krishna wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, kockkin ko wrote:
>
> > Not to mentioned the heartache I have to install my other favorite distros:
> > free BSD, gentoo, LFS...... ooh I got more enough heartache and
> > frustration to boot them!!!!!!!! ......... Kernel panic, never able to
> > find the root partition.
> > Other distros? ... Not even able to find the drive from the start of
> > the installation.  Disapointed!!!!!
> >
> > Appreciate anyone with any hint and suggestions.
> >
> Disable SATA feature in your BIOS. Now the drive should be recognized as a
> normal PATA disk. Install Debian, recompile with SATA support and enable
> SATA. I'm not sure how this works as I've never tried it myself. Try
> googling for "SATA support for Debian". If it works for Debian, it should
> work for other distros.

I'm going to have to agree that for the time being the performance
benefits of SATA are far outweighed by the problems I have had with the
device in Linux.  This will improve over time.  The more people that use
SATA now the more quickly this will happen.  I would not advise using
SATA on a production Linux box yet.  If you're running a server use
SCSI.

Matthew E. Lauterbach