Remote Console using SOL / Sending F12 to PXE Boot

Kevin Jackson kevin.jackson at tradermedia.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 12:11:35 UTC 2004

Not strictly OT as this could be any hardware, but I'm trying to get Serial
Over Lan working and being able to send the keypress F12 from a Linux ssh
console session.

The setup: Workstation (RHEL 3 WS) - ssh-to - Management Console (RHEL 3
AMD64) - ssh-to SOL Console Session (RHEL 3 AMD64)

When the system boots, to force PXE booting the hardware (Sun Fire v20z)
requires the F12 key to be pressed.
How do I achieve this from the scenario above.

I've seen press ^[@, ^[-, ^[2 combinations. I've also seen solutions along
the lines of changing F12 keypress binding in PuTTY to be ESC0A - but PuTTY
can't be used in the scenario above as 1) I'm using Linux and 2) There is no
direct connection to the Management Network to get the SOL connection.

The SOL connection is fine from start (BIOS) to installations to Login
prompt - just this F12 issue.

Any solutions appreciated as I'm slowly going mad.

--
Kevin Jackson RHCE
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.