FC3 x86_64 install on sil3114 SATA controller problems.

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Apr 18 17:11:06 UTC 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 10:06pm, Koustubha Kale wrote:
> Dear all,
> We have purchased a Tyan Tiger k8w(s2875) yesterday.
> I am trying to install Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on a
> machine with Tyan Tiger k8w with dual opteron 242
> CPU's, 4gb RAM, 120GB seagate SATA drives connected to
> sata 1 & 2.
> My problem is although FC3 complets the install it
> fails to reboot. I followed the directions in the
> downloaded file SiI3114- Serial ATA (SATA) 64-bit
> Linux RAID Driver (for AMD 64-bit platforms only).zip
> file from the driver downloads section on tyan's site
> but the insertion of driver does not take place. the
> initial_install.sh script  does not manage to insert
> the driver module. The same works for RH9 though. But
> we need the Fc3 x86_64 for which we bought the board &
> the CPU's.
> Please guide urgently as to how we can get this
> working. This machine is needed urgently for our
> colleges lab.

I have the exact same board and processors at home.  I only have 1GB RAM, so I
can not rule the RAM quantity out for you.

I have installed both FC2 & FC3 on that box.  I never downloaded any
additional drivers for the SATA (I have 160GB SATA Western Digital drive).
Both releases just worked right out of the box.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor