Defaulting Comilations to 32-bit

Jeremy Dreese jdreese at bucknell.edu
Tue Aug 16 19:03:54 UTC 2005

We have an environment with both 64-bit servers and 32-bit desktop
systems.  Code that is compiled on the servers must be able to run on
the desktop systems as well.  I know that you can compile in 32-bit mode
with the -m32 option, but is there a way to have gcc/g++ compile in
32-bit by default (without specifying the option every time)?  Outside
of creating some sort of shell alias for all users (i.e. gcc="gcc -m32")
I haven't been able to find a way to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy